Wednesday, May 5, 2010

I'm that kind of mom

I never thought I'd be THAT kind of mom. The meddling kind, the kind that wants to know where their kids are at all times, the kind who makes you at least try some of your veggies and the kind who wants to choose their kid's friends. I know you can't always help who you bond with. Now that Aaron is in school and finishing up first grade I find myself "guiding" him on who might be a good friend to have. His best friend, Grant was in his kindergarten class and is in his 1st grade class. Grant is the kind of kid you want your child to be friends with. Polite, clean, has a good family, smart and well-behaved in school are just some of the qualities Grant has. The best part is Grant and Aaron get along so well!! Then....there's a boy in his class who isn't so well-behaved and is in trouble a lot. Back when Aaron was having his birthday party at the bowling alley he asked about inviting this boy. I, in a round-about way, told him no. I'm not sure I'm doing the right thing by discouraging the friendship. Maybe I should let Aaron learn on his own that this boy might not be a good influence. There's so many choices you make as a parent. I just hope my choices are the right ones....

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes you have to step in Momma....
    Ma-2-Bean-n-Squish

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I am relatively new to this mommy thing but I completely understand what it's like to be unsure about your choices. The only thing you can do is follow your heart, your instinct and try to trust that you are making the best decision you can at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure I will be THAT kind of Mom too when my kids are old enough. Sometimes you have to be.

    ReplyDelete